Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Basic Granola

I'm making this right now, and my kitchen smells wonderful. You'll love this easy recipe:

6 1/4 c. rolled oats (I use the quick oats from the dry pack cannery)
1 c. coconut
1/2 c. slivered almonds (or pecans, or whatever nuts you have on hand)
1/4 c. sesame seeds, unsalted (opt.)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. vegetable or canola oil
3/4 c. honey
1 tsp. vanilla
Dried fruit (opt.)

Stir dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix oil and honey together and heat until honey is warm and runny. Stir in vanilla. Add to dry ingredients; stir until well combined. Spread onto two cookie sheets. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes during baking. Cool on cookie sheets, and then add in any dried fruit you like (my favorites are craisins, dried apples, or apricots). Store in airtight container up to 6 weeks.

2 comments:

Boy's Mama said...

I made this today and really liked it. I added 1/4 cup flax seed also, it has Omega and Amino Acids that are really good for those little people's brains. If you use golden flax it looks like more sesame seed. Brown flax looks like bugs, which works for my boys, but may not for everyone else.

Melissa said...

I tried this and loved it! It is great with vanilla yogurt and fresh berries.